Saturday, April 23, 2011

Silver Lining

"Silver Lining" by Rilo Kiley

And I'm not going back
Into rags or in the hole
And our bruises are coming
But we will never fold

And I was your silver lining
As the story goes
I was your silver lining
But now I'm gold

Hooray hooray
I'm your silver lining
Hooray hooray
But now I'm gold

And I was your silver lining
High up on my toes
You were running through fields of hitch-hikers
As the story goes

Hooray hooray
I'm your silver lining
Hooray hooray
But now I'm gold

Hooray hooray
I'm your silver lining
Hooray hooray
But now I'm gold

And the grass it was a ticking
And the sun was on the rise
I never felt so wicked
As when I willed our love to die

And I was your silver lining
As the story goes
I was your silver lining
But now I'm gold

Hooray hooray
I'm your silver lining
Hooray hooray
But now I'm gold

Hooray hooray
I'm your silver lining
Hooray hooray
But now I'm gold

But now I'm gold
But now I'm gold 


     The initial lines of "Silver Lining" by the group Rilo Kiley allude to a time when the speaker was confined to a lesser and belittling condition as is evident by "rags" and by "hole." In the following lines, the speaker tells of how the hurt of the past (bruises) will surface but even with the pain outwardly manifesting and submitting to it is unheard of. The rags or the hole could be the neglect she inflicted upon herself by investing in the relationship. The events and emotions expressed with the former partner may be enticing but looking back, the speaker can't succumb to the old way of life where her own interests took the back seat. 
     The metaphor of the speaker as silver lining illustrates her position within the rapport, explaining how she helped make the relationship coagulate by giving up her true self. The speaker is only an addition to her partner and for this fact, she notices how her self-worth has depreciated in her opinion. In the fourth stanza, the speaker demonstrates her anxiety and displeasure whilst participating in the relationship and the partner realizes her thoughts, scrambling for ideas or ways to get to their ideal destination. However, in following lines, the speaker has a heart-breaking and terrible epiphany to end their correlation for her own good. Finally, with the inhibitions built by her partner cast aside, she can rise to her potential to be the person she was meant to be, thus achieving her idea of fulfillment or "gold" rather than "silver." This song isn't necessarily confined to love but encompasses all relationships where being true to the inner-self is torture.  

No comments:

Post a Comment