Sunday, November 14, 2010

New Directions?

     Does Mr. McCarthy's 7th period American Literature class need a new direction, organization or goal? In my view, our class could use a slight readjustment in some areas. Firstly, the novels featured for a month or two seem to be afterthoughts in every day class. The journals seem to be the main focal point of each period which are usually unrelated. Writing in response to them is enjoyable but it just seems like busy work sometimes.
     The second issue I have is that formal writing should be more prominent. The blogs and journals are forms of writing but they only act as an outlet for ranting and feelings rather than cohesive ideas. I would feel more productive if I was improving my writing skills for future use in upcoming grades and possibly in college. Most of the students will not become creative writers or authors and will therefore have no productive, daily application for this writing style.
    The final complaint is the frequent use of the vocabulary books. Last year, the vocabulary exercises were extremely beneficial for me and especially for the class. I have encountered all of the words while reading various types of literature. Before, words I had no knowledge of would just be skimmed over and disregarded. Now, I can actually understand those words and their use and I am able to incorporate them into my personal vocabulary for employment in my writing. There is no downside to learning new words for furthering facts, statements and opinions.

6 comments:

  1. You make a lot of good points, Tom. I, too, wish we would read at least a chapter from the book in class and discuss as we go along. Would that drag too much time? Comparing to the time spent for other things done in rest of the period, no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your entry contrasts with mine by the way, but "I suppose I am a slut because I go both ways."-Mr.Mascari

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm, i guess i see where you're coming from, but i personally really like the laid back and random attitude of our classes. even though we do get work done, i like how we never feel really, pressured into doing it. but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I enjoy the fact that many of the assignments are pretty straight foward and are not things that would be stressful, I agree that we should probably do some sort of formal paper. The feedback we would eventually be getting from these, will help us improve our writing. I also agree with you on the use of the vocab books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the majority of your points, but I really enjoy writing the blogs because it gives me an outlet for my writing, and it only takes me 5 minutes to finish. I feel like the blogs help more so in creating your own style of writing rather than teaching us boring techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is like the exact same thing i put...

    ReplyDelete