Saturday, October 23, 2010

Two extremes of a vast nation

     For the entirety of my life, my parents have subjected me to the true beauties of the United States: Our National Parks. As I increased in age, I began to realize through exceeding exposure to these parks that the United States was a land of great untamed wilderness and of many spectacular cities; the best aspects of this country go from one extreme to the other: simplicity and sophistication. I can only bask in the glory of America in these two landscapes and they are where I notice pride in my country.
     Cities such as Chicago, San Francisco and New York are worldly Meccas with arrays of ethnicities that culminate into a city of many worlds. People from all backgrounds find communities they can identify with, yet still experience other lifestyles if they desire to. One method to do so would be to venture to ethnic restaurants. Metros are usually littered with such areas and after visiting a plethora of cuisines, my appreciation for America's diversity and a sense of nationalism grow within.
     From the first journey to Hawai'i when I was a few months old to my most recent excursion to Zion National Park in Utah, I always contained a feeling of tranquility and easiness while present in a National Park. Being immersed in natural grandeur seems correct and I can't help feeling anew and at peace. Then I wonder why more of the nation's land cannot be allotted to the National Park Service to be preserved and protected from urban encroachment. Pictures do not provide justice for the natural magnificence. Their greatness defies all expectations and instills greater respect for the environment which Americans usually toss aside. My ideal America would be a nation of wilderness where its people are connected with nature and a nation of cities where all peoples could assimilate into a cohesive and tolerant society that enjoys experiencing other walks of life. I would have the highest level of patriotism in such as country.
    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment